VIP’s Therapy Teams are the Heart & Soul of our Organization
Together, you and your pet can bring joy and comfort to those who need it most!
VIP’s therapy dog teams provide Animal assisted intervention to people dealing with emotional and physical life changes. They deliver positive distraction, motivation, empathy, and compassion.
VIP Dog Teams mission is to train therapy dogs to react and respond to people and their environment, under the guidance and direction of their owners our Therapy dogs can be used as part of animal assisted intervention (AAI) Animal assisted interventions are goal-oriented and structured interventions that intentionally incorporate animals in health, education, and human service for the purpose of therapeutic gains and improved health and wellness. The animal may be part of a volunteer therapy animal team working under the direction of a professional or an animal that belongs to the professional.
To become a certified team you and your dog must be committed to completing the Training process.
Sounds great, right? Well, here’s what you need to know:
STEP 1: Pre-Requisites
You and your dog must meet the following general qualifications:
- Dog must be at least 16 months old.
- You, the handler of the dog, must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be willing to complete a background check through VIP Dog Teams.
- You must have owned your Dog for at least six months.
- Dogs are required to have passed the American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Test (CGC) within the last two years. A certified dog trainer must administer this. CLICK HERE to learn more about the CGC.
- Dog must be in good health and have up to date rabies and vaccinations. Proof of current health certificate from your veterinarian is required at the time of application.
- Dogs must be non-reactive towards other dogs and must enjoy interacting with strangers.
STEP 2: VIP Dog Teams
Our Therapy Dog Program was designed from the beginning to certify therapy dog teams in areas of underserved needs. Goal-directed therapy is significantly different from the usual “meet and greet” nursing home type of animal assisted activities. In the GOT DOGS (Goal Oriented Therapy) Program the dogs are used both as a tool and a motivator to help clients (children and adults) achieve clearly defined goals as set by their therapist or teacher. Are you ready to be a part of the GOT Dog Team?
For more information about the next Therapy Dog Prep Class Click here
Or or email us [email protected]
Once you have passed your VIP Dog Teams Therapy evaluation your ready to Volunteer as a provisional team! Will we send you to the appropriate place for you and your dog to volunteer under the supervision of a senior VIP G.O.T. Dog team member. You will be on Observation for 3-5 visits Then if all goes well you are ready to become a fully certified team.
Contact us [email protected]
Depending on your location and the population you wish to serve, we will match you with a facility requesting our services. It is important to us that you are comfortable and happy in your assigned facility.
For more information, Browse our Website and Programs served, drop us an email [email protected] or call us at (805) 419-0677