Therapy Dog Training-Prep School
Our Therapy Dog Training-Prep School is a 6-week course that will prepare you and your dog to be a therapy dog team. This class is designed to prepare you and your dog for testing to become a therapy dog team (taking the class does not certify you as a therapy team). We will help you identify the best therapy program for your needs and interests, then guide you through the process. We will offer to test (for a separate fee) at the end of the course.
You and your pet must meet the following general qualifications:
- Dog must be at least 12 months old.
- You must have owned your Dog for at least six months.
- Dogs are required to have passed the American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Test (CGC) within the last two years. A certified dog trainer must administer this. CLICK HERE to learn more about the CGC.
- Dog must be in good health and have up to date rabies and vaccinations. Proof of current health certificate from your veterinarian is required at the time of application.
- Dog must be non-reactive towards other dogs and must enjoy interacting with strangers.
Our course includes:
- Instruction and practice with successful therapy dog commands
- Discussion and practice of techniques for effective interaction between therapy dog and patients
- Discussion and practice in developing better observation skills to identify signs of stress in your dog
- Assistance in helping you identify the most appropriate therapy dog programs
- Role-playing opportunities with a variety of typical therapy dog settings including wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, and close proximity to other dogs.
- Useful commands will be taught, such as touch, leave it and watch me. We will utilize Mat work to teach your dog to relax.
Therapy Dog Training-Prep School Details
No current classes are scheduled
DAYS AND TIMES: Prep Class is for 6 weeks
Camarillo, CA 93010
Look for the Black EZ-up and the VIP Dog Teams Sign (address will be emailed upon sign-ups)
CLASS SIZE: Class size is limited, so early registration is recommended. We are unable to add someone to a roster or waitlist until after receipt of registration and payment. All registrations are based on a First come, first-served basis. If you must cancel it must be 2 weeks prior to the first day of class or you forfeit your payment. Due to third party online charges your refund will be minus the charge applied.
BASIC OBEDIENCE PREREQUISITE: All canine students are required to Pass Canine Good Citizen (CGC) prior to starting Therapy Prep Class. Certificate must be presented at registration.
DOG RECORDS REQUIRED: Students will be required to submit records of current vaccinations.
INSTRUCTORS: Fees will be used to subsidize the mission of VIP Dog Teams. Instructors are experienced therapy dog handlers.
Regular fee (one dog per handler) – $150 Payment can be made by check
mail to VIP Dog Teams c/o Nancy Mitchell
P.O. Box 973, Camarillo, CA 93011)
or online (Please note there is a $5 transaction fee for online payment). We will not reserve a spot for you until payment has been received.
WAIT LIST POLICY: One of the first questions on the registration form is whether you would like to be on the waitlist. If you reply “Yes,” we will contact you if an opening comes up. We confirm students for each class 2 weeks before the start date. This enables us to know if we have an opening and to give us time to contact those on the waitlist. We cannot place you on a waitlist until we have received your registration form. Class space is reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis after the receipt of payment.
CERTIFICATION: Completion of this class will not guarantee certification as a therapy dog. This is a Prep Class designed to get you ready for certification and testing. We will offer to test in week 6 (optional and requires an additional fee).
PREP SCHOOL REGISTRATION: To register for a class, click the button below and complete the registration form. Upon receipt of this form, we will send your further class instructions. You can pay by mail or online.
Prep School Registration
To register for a class, click the button below and complete the registration form.